Home > Knowledge Base > French Drum Shades
French Drum Shades
These shades have slightly inclined sides which gives them a more contemporary look and, depending on their size, are suitable for wall lights, table and floor lamps. It is believed they are named after regimental drums that were used by soldiers to co-ordinate their marching pattern that was first adopted by the French during the Napoleonic years.
- We make three styles of French drum – narrow, medium and wide.
- They are all made with round shade rings that screw onto your shade beneath the bulb and are supplied with reducers to ensure a universal fit.
Narrow French Drum Shade Dimensions
Medium French Drum Shade dimensions
Wide French Drum Shades
What fitting do your French Drums have?
Our French Drum shades are made from good quality white card that makes them self supporting. They have a circular wire frame, as shown on the left, which sits at the bottom of the shade, with a second, same sized wire ring fitted to the top. The shade ring - or 'gimble' - that fits the shade to your lamp base, is fixed around 4 to 6cm up from the bottom (depending on size) and is supplied with a reducer ring, as shown, that can be removed to ensure a universal fit.
Can I use a French Drum for the ceiling?
We have a collection of our most popular sized French Drum Shades available with pendant fittings, please see our Pendant French Drum Shades. If you can't find what you are looking form, we can make any of our French Drum Shades in any of our fabrics, with a pendant fitting as a bespoke item. Please contact our helpful customer service team to discuss your requirements.
How big should my shade be?
For useful information about sizing shades for a lamp base see our Knowledge Base Guide
- How to size for a Table Lamp
- The width of your shade should be equal to the height of your base.
- The height of your shade should be two thirds the height of your base (divide the base height by 3).
- Your shade should be wider than the widest part of your base.
What size do I need for a floor lamp?
For useful information on sizing shades for floor lamps, see our Knowledge Base guide
- How to Size for a Floor Lamp.
- Measure the height of your floor lamp from the floor to the underneath of the bulb holder.
- Divide this by 4 to get the right height of your shade.
- The width of the shade should be wider than the base.
How much light will be let through?
Generally, the lighter the colour and weave of the fabric, the more light the shade will allow through. The darker and heavier the fabric, the more the light is channelled through the top and bottom of the shade. For useful information about fabrics and their use as shades, see our Knowledge Base guide - Lampshades FAQs
Can I use any of your fabrics?
Yes, we can make any of our shades in any of our fabrics as a bespoke item. Please contact our helpful customer service team to raise a quote.
Can I use my own fabric?
Yes, we can generally make any of our shades in your own fabric, we just ask that you send in a swatch first so that we can be sure it is suitable. For more information, see our Knowledge Base Guide on Bespoke Lampshades.
Need some help?
Jim Lawrence, The Ironworks
Lady Lane, Hadleigh
Suffolk, IP7 6BQ
Contact our friendly customer service team on firstname.lastname@example.org
Speak to one of the sales team on 01473 826685
Our telephone lines are open:
Our telephone lines are open:
Monday - Friday: 9:30am - 5pm