Home > Knowledge Base > Square Shades
Square shades look fabulous on simple column table lamps, or those with a square base as the geometric shape reflects the straight lines of the base giving your lamp a contemporary look.
- We offer two styles – straight sided and sloping.
- The straight sided square shades can be used to fit table lamps or turned the other way round to fit a ceiling pendant.
- Our sloping square shades will only fit table lamps.
- Both are available in 5cm increments from 15 - 40cm wide and are fitted with shade rings that screw onto your shade beneath the bulb. They come with reducers to ensure a universal fit.
Sloped Square shade dimensions
Straight square shade dimensions
What fitting do your square shades have?
Our Square shades are made from good quality white card that makes them self supporting. They have a square shaped wire frame, similar to the one shown on the left, which sits at the bottom of the shade, with a second wire ring fitted to the top. The shade ring - or 'gimble' - that fits the shade to your lamp base, is fixed around 4 to 6cm up from the bottom (depending on the size of the shade) and is supplied with a removable reducer ring, as shown, to ensure a universal fit.
Can I use it for a ceiling light?
All our straight sided square shades can be used with a pendant light. The beauty of straight sides is that they can be used one way to fit a lamp base and turned upside down to fit a ceiling pendant. If you would like a sloped square shade to work with a pendant fitting, you will need to contact our helpful customer service team for a bespoke quote.
How big should my shade be?
For useful information about sizing shades for a lamp base see our Knowledge Base Guide
- How to size for a Table Lamp
- The width of your shade should be equal to the height of your base.
- The height of your shade should be two thirds the height of your base (divide the base height by 3).
- Your shade should be wider than the widest part of your base.
What if I want a different fabric?
We can make any of our shades in any of our fabrics as a bespoke item. Please contact our helpful customer service team to raise a quote. We may also be able to make any of our shades in your own fabric, we just ask that you send in a swatch first so that we can be sure it is suitable.
How much light will my shade let through?
Generally the lighter the colour and weave of the fabric, the more light the shade will allow through. The darker and heavier the fabric, the more the light is channelled through the top and bottom of the shade. For useful information about fabrics and their use as shades, please read our Lampshade FAQs.
Need some help?
Jim Lawrence, The Ironworks
Lady Lane, Hadleigh
Suffolk, IP7 6BQ
Contact our friendly customer service team on firstname.lastname@example.org
Speak to one of the sales team on 01473 826685
Our telephone lines are open:
Our telephone lines are open:
Monday - Friday: 9:30am - 5pm